Project Manager - Multi-Family
As we continue to grow and add more multi-family projects, we are looking for a dynamic and experienced Project Manager to help us keep the momentum going! This person will be responsible for providing project management services for vertical real estate development projects as assigned, or supporting the VP MF Development Management on larger projects, including the oversight of entitlements, design, construction, and the transition to operations. Activities include predevelopment services to support Project Developers in sourcing and winning work, and primary oversight of projects during the execution phase of a project. Balancing and managing costs, schedule and quality to ensure projects are delivered per the approved project plan as approved by senior leadership.
- Predevelopment Activities: Supporting Developers in the sourcing and winning of work by procuring design and construction team members, obtaining preliminary construction, design, and city fee cost estimates, putting together preliminary project schedules, and identifying key risk components of each assigned project and action plans to mitigate those risks.
- Entitlements: Obtain vertical and horizontal entitlements as required for each project. Evaluate and oversee the permitting and development approval processes. Manage offsite and public improvements for design and construction either directly or in coordination with the land seller or metro district. Obtain all public approvals as required to allow occupancy in the buildings. Build and maintain positive and functional relationships with the municipalities where the project is located. Work with all design review boards to obtain required approvals.
- Design Management: Procure and manage design consultants from concept design through construction documents and construction administration, including the negotiation of the design contract(s). In conjunction with the VP MF Development Management, create the architectural theme and goals for the project. Insure proper documentation and quality control is inherent within the process. Facilitate all design coordination meetings. Manage the overall construction administration process including timely responses to submittals and RFI’s. Provide leadership to the design team from the Owner’s perspective, making or providing decisions in a timely manner.
- Construction Management: Procure and manage the general contractor and all owner contractors through the preconstruction process to final payment. Procure competitive bids and negotiate the construction contract. Ensure the general contractor has a team capable of performing per Owner’s expectations, and provide overall project leadership for the design and construction team from the position of the Owner.
- Cost Management: Develop and maintain predevelopment budgets in conjunction with the project developer. Manage all budgets to ensure costs do not exceed approved amounts. Utilize the standardized cost management system during preconstruction and construction, and provide monthly cost management and variance reports. Negotiate all change orders. Support the activities required to obtain project financing. Manage the construction draw process with the lending agency and the project accountant to coordinate inspections, review and approval all draw applications, and ensure all lien waivers are obtained.
- Risk Management: Develop and ensure the implementation of a project specific risk management plan for any projects assigned.
- Closeout Management: Develop and manage the closeout process for each project, including punchlists, final payments, certificates of occupancy, and transitioning to operations in a coordinated manner.
- Support the VP MF Development Management in developing the project plan for projects assigned, which includes defining the process for the procurement of the key design and construction team members through competitive or negotiated selection processes, identifying resources required for the project, and evaluating the critical risk factors of a project and developing mitigation plans. Supports the VP MF Development Management in providing information related to costs and schedules for RFP responses.
- Support the VP MF Development Management in developing processes for the department and managing relationships with executives from key partners in design, construction, and municipalities. Manages direct reports, including Project Coordinators. Develops roundtable to ensure up to date knowledge of the design and construction industry and factors that impact McWhinney’s future.
- Collaborates with VP MF Operations through design and delivery of product to ensure design and operational feasibility. Supports the operations teams during the warranty period.
-Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture or Construction Management or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
-Minimum of 5 years of project management experience in multifamily construction projects.
McWhinney offers a competitive benefits package for full-time Associates including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k), and employee assistance plan. Additionally, we offer a generous paid time off plan that includes a week off between Christmas and New Years!