Director of Asset Management (Commercial and Multi-Family)
McWhinney is looking for a dynamic and skilled individual for our Director of Asset Management (Commercial and Multi-Family).
The successful candidate for this position will have a high level of accountability for complex financial modeling, performance evaluation, and strategic planning on a variety of projects for McWhinney’s Asset Management Team. This position may also have occasional involvement in development projects and/or acquisition opportunities, and will be heavily involved in evolving McWhinney’s asset management platform via new information systems and processes. Expert financial analysis skills are required; and a well-rounded real estate background and strong inter-personal skills are highly desired as this position involves significant cross-departmental communication and exposure to a wide variety of product types. Prior accounting experience is considered a plus, as this position will involve significant cooperation with both internal and external accounting teams.
- Take primary accountability for overseeing the design & integrity of financial models used for asset management purposes. Oversee & review the financial modeling completed by analysts.
- Analyze, evaluate and oversee the development and execution of annual strategic plans and operating budgets. Complete periodic on-site property inspections and lead owner meetings – including preparation of meeting agendas & notes, and ensure effective communication between ownership and management.
- Perform and/or direct ad-hoc analysis on strategic issues related to existing assets, acquisition opportunities, and development projects (i.e. 1031-exchange opportunities, hold / sell analysis, capex plans, strategic plans, etc…)
- Participate in the identification of strategic refinancing opportunities, and coordinate refinancing activities with the Finance Team, as needed.
- Monitor, review and analyze performance of operating assets & teams to identify and communicate trends, opportunities and areas for correction. These measures include, but are not limited to: profit and loss analysis, future forecasting, guest satisfaction, cost controls, and benchmarking performance against comparable properties.
- Actively participate in multi-family revenue management calls and critically evaluate pricing strategies. Collaborate with property management to adjust pricing strategies depending on seasonality, changing market conditions, or success of strategies being employed.
- Proactively work with other departments to identify and implement new information systems and processes to improve the efficiency and information transparency of the company’s asset management platform. Examples include the implementation of new investor reporting systems, new lease administration processes, and collaboration with accounting to implement advanced budgeting & forecasting tools.
- Prepare and/or oversee (as needed) the preparation of reports for investors, lenders and internal users; develop new reporting packages and efficient ways of producing, presenting & delivering information.
- Monitor market, demographic and product-type trends.
- As needed, assist with strategic risk management initiatives i.e. captive formation, flood insurance program, renter’s insurance programs, etc…
- Follow and model McWhinney’s Purpose, Promise, Path and Principles.
Qualified candidates for this position will have a related four-year degree and a minimum of five years of financial experience in the commercial development industry. A successful candidate must demonstrate excellent analytical ability, strong attention to detail, advanced Excel skills, and strong finance and accounting knowledge. Candidates must demonstrate flexibility in a complex and changing organization and the ability to adapt to changes in structure and work priorities.
McWhinney offers a competitive benefits package for full-time Associates including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k), and employee assistance plan. Additionally, we offer a generous paid time off plan that includes a week off between Christmas and New Years!